The last couple of years the kids have been truly spoilt with expensive toy advent calendars, creating an entire Christmas scene with playmobile. This year feels the time to go for a handmade alternative.
I have made a DIY advent calendar out of old toilet rolls:) I have gone for simple is the best approach. Each toilet roll is filled with two sweets and a Christmas themed activity for the day.
Simply fold an end in, fill with your sweets and activity. Wrap some tissue paper round, followed by washi tape.
Fold the other end, wrap in washi tape again and you are done! I have a horrible feeling I should have put two identical sweets in per toilet roll to save the kids arguing about who was having which…
Ideas for Advent Activities for Families:
- Decorate your bedroom door for Christmas.
- Read a Christmas book.
- Make a new Christmas ornament.
- Make paper snowflakes.
- Attend a local Christmas activity or party.
- Do a Christmas word search.
- Build a gingerbread house.
- Make biscotti for Gran
- Create Christmas cards.
- Collect food for the food bank.
- Make Christmas (Ice Cream Cone) Trees.
- Create a paper chain for your bedroom
- Go on a hunt for holly with berries.
- Make a Christmas wreath with a paper plate.
- Make some fudge
- Make jingling jewelry.
- Read christmas books next to the fire or tree
- Go buy a new toy for charity.
- Make a Christmas wreath.
- Take Christmas pictures.
- Make paper snowflakes and decorate the windows
- Sprinkle the yard with reindeer food (dry oatmeal & glitter).
- Write a note for each member of the family to put in their stocking
- Have an indoor snowball fight (with styrofoam or newpaper).
- Picnic next to the Christmas tree
- Make presents for a pet.
- Make ornaments to give and keep.
- Wrap presents.
- Bundle up and watch for shooting stars.
- Make Christmas pancakes (with cookie cutters and sprinkles).
- Clean up old toys to donate to charity.
- Make a birdfeeder.
- Read the Christmas Story from the Bible.
- Camp out in the living room.
- Mail Christmas cards.
- Dress up for dinner.
- Play a Christmas Matching Game.
- String popcorn for a Christmas tree garland.
- Write a letter to Santa.
- Host a Christmas Scavenger Hunt.
- Dance to Christmas music.
- Bake a birthday cake for Jesus.
- Play Daddy’s naughty or nice game
- Bake Christmas cookies.
- Color a Christmas coloring page.
- Make a Christmas craft.
- Write and illustrate a Christmas book.
- Take a bath with glo-sticks.
- Make gifts for a teacher.
- Take a drive to look at Christmas lights.
If you wish to download the list click here. What do you do for advent?