I can’t quite believe how the time has flown, it doesn’t seem but a blink of an eyelid since my youngest started school. Like all children he has his own little ways and is learning how to manage change – not something that any of us naturally find easy. The settlement into a school routine has been a success in large part due to his supportive teacher and assistants. Its that time of year to create teachers gifts.
I had a germ of an idea which came into fruition when I won some sparkly copper spray paint from Rustoleum. The idea to transform standard terracota pots into sparkly stylish plant pots. Its fabulously quick and gives a great result!
To make your own teachers thank you gift pots you will need:
copper spray paint
blackboard spray paint
Start by spraying your pots copper – I stopped spraying when I realised just how much I loved the speckled effect. If you desire a fully even coat of copper spray a second time.
Leave for 24 hours.
Using your masking tape and newspaper mask off the main section of pot. Spray with blackboard paint. Do two coats to gain a good even coverage.
Write the word thank you onto the blackboard paint.
Plant your plants up.
The only fault with my idea, it wasn’t my sons idea… although thankfully he seems to have come round to giving them as gifts!
Do you have clothes hiding in your stash, just waiting to be refashioned? Oh good, I’m in great company then!! There is nothing better than reusing a former garment for its fabric – I hate fabric going to landfill.
I don’t quite like to admit how long ago my daughter begged me to buy a large knit skirt to be transformed into a garment for her. Today she had the day off school, an unexpected girly day together.
We discussed the skirt and agreed to transform it into a dress for her. We cheated and bought a red t-shirt, much quicker than making our own! As a result the entire refashion took less than an hour.
To make your own dress you will need
a t shirt which fits
a dress which fits as a template
To start trim your t shirt to the length (plus seam allowance) where you wish to attach the skirt.
Trim the skirt so the waist band will fit the waist of the skirt (plus seam allowance). If you wish to shorten the skirt I suggest shortening at the waist so that you can keep the hem.
Stitch the new side seams of the skirt, ensuring you hems align.
Place the t shirt inside the skirt so that the right side are together.
Stitch the skirt and top together.
Its really that simple, unless you have a t-shirt which needs some adjustments. The t- shirt we found was slightly wide on the shoulders.
To adjust this I stitched along the top of the sleeve seam taking in an extra centimter.
My daughter, who was reluctant to have a shower and wash her hair, leapt in the shower and hasn’t taken the dress off. That’s a result!!!
Thanks so much to Magda for providing the motivation to deal with some of my stash, and making my daughter happy:) Please do stop by House of Estrela for the rest of July and see lots of refashioning inspiration.
Months ago I couldn’t resist this cable reel, but then it sat in the shed for months on end whilst I deliberated about what to make.
The kids are a little old for toad stools and similar, but I knew I wished to use it in the garden. We have a rather boring porch area which often turns into a covered storage area, it’s not very welcoming for guests. I hit upon the idea for growing succulents in vintage kitchen containers displayed on the cable reel.
My cable reel is whitewashed with chalk paint with the core wrapped in old rope. This adds texture to the display.To create your own succulent display:
Thin the paint down equal parts water to paint. Brush the paint on in the same direction as the grain of the wood. Allow to dry.
Tightly wrap the old rope around the middle core of the cable reel. Secure the ends with nails.
Source some vintage kitchen containers – I found two colanders and a mixing bowl at my local store Looses.
Select succulents which compliment each other with texture and colour. Plant up in your containers.
Its really that simple!!
I planned this to be a thrifty project but in reality the cost added up a little. With patience I could have grown the succulents from shoots from established plants and over time found the kitchen ware at car boot sales.
Naturally I have a pinterest board dedicated to cable reel transformations, find it here.
This post is linked up here: