For some time I have had the desire to have a crack at making a quilt. I am far from precise person so I have hesitated quite a bit about the quality of quilt I would be able to make – lining up 10’s of squares accurately did not seem that plausible.
However the time came to bite the bullet, and combine the quilt making desire with a stash of my husbands shirts, no expense spared!
I started off really well, visiting my local library and borrowing a book “Quilters Bible”. Cutting up the shirts into strips, took longer than anticipated but again went well.
Due to my “precise” skills I decided to go for diagonal squares, creating 3 different coloured blocks, each block comprises of fabric from three shirts. So far so good.
Initially I thought it would be quicker to pin a long rectangle of diagonal strips and cut squares out of these – however it did not seem to work. So I reverted to sewing individual squares.
Once I reached 30 squares I took them to the gym, well why not?! After a lovely swim with a friend we entertained bar staff by laying out the squares and discussing design. Elizabeth helpfully suggested omitting one of the colourways, a decision I am very pleased with. My husband then helped with decisions re direction of diagonal squares.
Next came cutting precise blocks out of my sewn pieces – can I blame the lack of a rotary cutter re the resulting not quite square blocks?!
I pieced them together, and the fabrics seemed to ruckle a bit. Then I noticed I had laid four pieces out in the wrong direction – can you sense my frustration mounting??
I followed Pam’s (Threading My Way) advice re visiting your local shop to discuss wadding, extremely helpful staff completely got the upcycled element and suggested a fleece blanket – half a day later I had a cot fleece blanket for lining and wadding from the local charity shop, total cost of the project £3!!
I initially made a pocket, turning out, however despite carefully pinning, pulling taught etc.. it just did not fit correctly. I unpicked it and went for a binding edge instead.
I have learnt lots but have many frustrations with the project
Can someone inspire me to have another go – my daughter is desperate I make her one now, and all I feel is frustration and disappointment!
On a positive note it has inspired my tot to finally give up his much loved sleeping bag, and move to a duvet and his new quilt:)
As usual I am popping by Handmade Harbour 🙂
This post is linked up here
I am delighted to announce my Quick Mid Week Upcycled Makes series. I am very excited about this, and just...