This month I have been drawn to having a go at endeavouring to replicate this image, spotted over on Pinterest
Frustratingly, as hard as I tried, I was unable to find the source of the image.
Papier Mache and Machine Embroidery
To start with I decided to use flour glue and created 3 layers of scraps of newspaper, topped with dressmaking tissue patterns – I enjoyed the texture of the flour glue, I guess it brought back happy creative moments from my childhood:)!!
The number of layers is purely guesswork – I wanted to create a strong enough base for the sewing machine but not too think that the sewing machine would object. As the pieces began to dry out they began to curl so I placed them underneath a heavy book to encourage them to dry flat.
To create the leaves I found a selection of scraps of fabrics, cut them up small and ironed onto a base fabric using bondaweb as a fabric glue.
Next I cut out shapes from my newly formed fabric and ironed onto the papier mache base.
The final step, to machine embroider with a multi-coloured thread the final design.
Due to the shapes I stitched I was able to keep the dog teeth up on the machine – no need to get the instruction manual out to see how to go free style:)
I happened to have some Maderia thread left from art college days, which I had ear marked for parting with – I can testify that the twenty year old thread has stood the test of time!!
I hope you have had an equally fun creative week:)
See what other bloggers tried for TSNEM this month:
Regular readers may remember a post with 8 different ideas for upcycling crisp packets. At the time my husband suggested...